Grant McDougall PhD
your trainer and consultant.
Who is Dr. Grant McDougall?
I am a licensed mental health counselor, psychotherapist, and national board-certified counselor, and I am a recognized speaker and trainer at national and international conferences. The path I have taken in my profession sets me apart from many in my field. I teach psychological theories, but I am not a theorist. I am a former university faculty member, but not an academic. I utilize the latest research in my trainings and presentations, but I am not just a researcher. Simply put, I break down the sometimes “grey” world of mental health and integrate it into the black and white world of law enforcement and first responders.
Having a thorough understanding of the unique “culture” of law enforcement and first responders is the foundation of my training and consulting work. I have worked directly with officers and administrators on the scene of mass casualty events, and have provided counseling services for hundreds of first responders and their families in a clinical setting. My combination of empathy and authenticity with logical reasoning and a straightforward, direct approach goes beyond the stage or podium.
I have been the exclusive provider for mental health services for numerous law enforcement agencies for more than a decade, which has provided me with an immense amount of real-world experience. I utilize that experience to create captivating, entertaining, and informative presentations to a variety of audiences on a wide spectrum of topics including, stress and trauma, PTSD, critical incidents, mass casualties, and marriage and families in law enforcement. Click here to see what other decision makers have to say.
In addition to my national work with agencies and organizations, I maintain a clinical counseling practice where I routinely work one-on-one with law enforcement officers, first responders, and their families.
- National Board Certified Counselor
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- Board Member, National Sheriff’s Association, Psychological Services Section
- Board Member, Small and Rural Law Enforcement Executives Association Psychological Services Section
- Mental Health Services Provider for Numerous Law Enforcement Agencies in Florida
- Expert Witness for the State of Florida’s Department of Health, Agency for Health Care Administration
- Examining Committee Member for the State of Florida’s 8th Judicial Circuit Court
- University of Florida’s Shands Employee Assistance Program Preferred Provider
- Cumulative Trauma
- Mass Casualty Incidents
- Psychology of Mass Shooters
- Pre-employment Screenings
- Law Enforcement Supervision
- Fitness-for-Duty Evaluations
- First Responder Marriage and Family